All-Around Awesomeness

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Do a different thing

You know what's been a super helpful part of my life this year? Therapy. After years of saying that I'm just fine, therapy is for people with "real" problems, I can deal with my eccentricities, etc., I finally gave it a try. Brilliant!! Everyone should give it a shot. But anyway, I gleaned a little nugget of knowledge from my therapist that might speak to you. I was speaking to a long-time client this morning who's in a difficult spot. She feels unmotivated, not just to lose the recent weight that she's gained, but in the rest of her life as well. She knows what she needs/wants to do, she's just having a hard time overcoming inertia enough to actually do any of it. I've certainly felt that way before (and often), and I'm betting most of you have as well. Life can seem overwhelming, and sometimes there's so much wrong going on that it seems there's no point in doing right. I'm a total perfectionist, and when I'm in that headspace, it feels like any good thing I do for my life or my situation is just a drop in a really stupid ocean.
Here's something that therapy taught me, something that I brought into play when brainstorming with my client about a path forward. In order to start the ball rolling, in order to make a difference, you just have to do a different thing. In other words, make the choice to walk around the city for half of your lunch hour. Ask yourself if you're really still hungry before you go get seconds. Start the work project that's been hanging over you because it looks too big and scary. Just begin something. The more little things you do, the more you start to seem to yourself like someone who can "do things." You get the immediate results of your choices, and those little choices build toward a long-term impression of yourself that is different, that is not bound by inertia. You're moving.
In my mind, "health" and "fitness" are about so much more than having toned arms. It's about feeling good in your own skin...feeling not only physically capable of participating in the activities that interest you, but having the drive to get out there and do them. It's more a state of mind than anything else, or rather, the state of mind is the real key to being healthy as long as you live. It's not easy...but it's not impossible either. Trainers can help (and so can therapists). How many small awesome choices can you make for yourself today? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment