All-Around Awesomeness

Thursday, January 9, 2014

All in

Most of you who've been following me with any degree of regularity have probably noticed a strong uptick in the number of ultimate-frisbee-related posts in the past year. I started working with the pro team Seattle Rainmakers early last year, having landed the job through recommendations of several ultimate players in Seattle whom I trained individually. I was really nervous, but threw myself into the job of learning how to be a strength and conditioning coach for an elite-level team - my book-learnin', teaching classes and one-on-one personal training did not prepare me for the experience, but it gave me the guts to try. I've been fortunate enough to garner trust in my Seattle community, and have been able to work with Sockeye and Riot this past year as well. Working with high-level athletic competitors has driven me to learn and grow, reaching out to other who are passionate about training for flatball (my friend Tim Morrill has been a great sounding board and ally) and to those who're currently at the top of their game (my current club players and especially my husband, MC).

The more I work with ultimate players and high-level athletes, whether they're in high school, college, or beyond, the more I want to work with them.

So...

I'm changing the shape and focus of my work. I've spent 13 years devoting myself to largely general population classes and one-on-one traning, renting space at a facility full time. In February I'm going to be moving to a gym at Interbay and renting space part-time - it's run by Joe Palumbo, a colleague who's way ahead of me in terms of sports programming and working with teams. In his space, which is three rooms at the moment but growing bigger, I'll have access to great equipment and no wasted space, with turf on every surface in the gym. I'll be able to bring teams in to train, something I've had a hard time figuring out how to do in my current space. And I'll be working alongside people who inspire and push me to be better and more dedicated to my work with athletes. When I'm not in the gym, I'll be at the IMA working with UW Element and the Sundodgers. Or I'll be at Garfield High School giving short seminars on lifting and injury prevention. Or on the field and at the track with clients, working on technique and changing direction. Or I'll be at home, programming, writing articles about training for ultimate and Skyping with long-distance clients. I'm still keeping on some of my clients who aren't competitive athletes, but I'm scaling that part of my business way back to make room for my growth in this sports arena.


 Long story short? This is the year I devote myself to getting better at strength and conditioning work, reaching more people, younger, and helping them perform at their highest level. I really couldn't be more excited. Really. :)



2 comments: