All-Around Awesomeness

Monday, November 28, 2011

Okay, so it's crappy outside (part 1)...

Ah, November. I so could do without you. I was born and raised in Florida, which means that the gray Seattle weather is a mite bit challenging...more than a week of somber days without sun and I'm pretty convinced that I should just lie around and eat carbs all day. November is particularly rough, and December isn't much better, so what's a girl to do? How can one get motivated to move, and once motivated, what kinds of stuff can one do in the city when it's cold and drizzling (or pouring) rain (or snow)? In this post, I'll tackle the first part of this question, without which the second part doesn't matter: motivation! Getting up the chutzbah to exercise is tougher when the days are short and the weather uninspiring. It's kinda like you're on a balance scale, outweighed by a few extra seasonal stones on the other side. You could jump and add the weight of that action to your side of the scale, or you can hop off and go find some rocks to add to your side.

The idea of jumping is one I'll relate to making a sizable commitment to a health goal. Maybe you sign up for your first 5K, one that takes place in mid-December (like the Jingle Bell Run). Or you join Weight Watchers, or commit to fitness or weight loss challenge at your gym (like the one at Zum going on right now). You could also plan a trip to enjoy the winter weather, like a ski/snowshoe adventure that you can look forward to. Throwing down money and/or dedicating yourself to something is a great way to get you off you butt more of the time...it's a big jump that can help knock a few of the rocks off the other side!

The other extension of the simile is finding some more rocks to pile on your side. They need to be cool rocks, special rocks, and you need to go find them yourself (although people can have good suggestions of where to look). They can be your secret weapons again lethargy. I'm assembling my rocks for the season, and am finding the need for a few more, but here's what I've got so far. I've got a new obsession for hot yoga, which makes me feel amazing enough in the aftermath that I commit to going regularly. I have a daily routine that's making me progressively stronger and more flexible (i.e. it's working). I'm trying to cook using seasonal vegetable and minimally processed foods (though I still have the box of chicken nuggets in the fridge for those nights where I just can't make it happen). And I've started changing my breathing, bringing it lower into my abdomen - this might sound strange, but it's giving me better awareness of tension in my body and encouraging me to do something about the tension when I notice it. I think I could maybe use a pebble-sized couch restriction...this one end of our couch is waaaaay too comfortable, and I tend to fall into it after the kids go to bed. But you get the idea.

You can do it, little campers! Gather up your energy and catapult some rocks, or go on a merry little hunt...either way, you're in charge of how this season affects you and your health! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment