All-Around Awesomeness

Thursday, November 10, 2011

You gotta have a reason...

* to get up in the morning
* to work late sometimes, even when you're tired
* to do four more push-ups
* to give your best effort, even if no one is watching
* to not purposefully rear-end the car that just cut you off

I've started looking for the-guy-behind-the-guy in my own life, and it seems I have many friends (thank you, rad friends) that are also trying to do the same thing. We all have reasons for doing things, ideas that drive us to make particular choices. Some of those thoughts come from places we've explored within ourselves, while others are more unconscious. I discovered a few years ago that I was terrified to try to do anything, anything at all, that I wasn't positive I would excel at. This meant that I'd spent my life doing lots of things very well, and totally shying away from anything that represented a true challenge. It's taken a lot of work to dig out the roots of that idea, and more work to find out how to listen to a newer, more fragile voice that tells me something different about myself, and emphasizes another truth. I am a learner, someone who loves and craves knowledge, and the best way to learn is to try new things, all sorts of things, with confidence that if I'm not the best at it right away, I will learn and improve and grow.

What are your reasons? Do you know? Take a look at them and see if there's another layer that you haven't explored...that new information could be all that's standing between who you are and who you may become. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment